Sunday, August 5, 2012

TiVo drive backup Adventure


A few months ago my TiVo Series2 started to stutter. The TiVo would cut out during recording or sometimes just stop and restart at any time of the day. It turns out it was probably a hard drive failure. Steps I had to get through before deciding to create my own back up drive:
  1. Sent my hard drive back to the vendor who created the drive for me because it was still under warranty. It's not the first time I've had to replace the original drive. This was the upgrade that was failing. 
  2. Received replacement drive which failed immediately, but I couldnt tell because I don't own a desktop PC. 
  3. Vendor recommended I replace the power supply. So I ordered one from weaknees.
  4. Received new power supply, TiVo failed to start up
  5. Had a work colleague assess the drive on a desktop PC. Drive failed.
  6. Sent drive back to vendor, who realized the drive he sent to me was dead
  7. Replacement drive received, good start up, but faith shaken.
FYI this is the second or third failed drive for me. Why didn't I just buy a new TiVo? Because mine has a lifetime warranty and I like it.

During this whole process I tried out a Roku, which I am keeping as my TiVo won't allow me to watch Netflix on it. Check out my Review of the Roku from July.

Steps to backup:


  1. Remove your hard drive from it's enclosure unless it has it's Sata connection exposed. 
  2. You will have to open the computer case up.
  3. Place hard drive on a piece of cardboard on the edge of your open computer. Connect to your PC desktop using your PC's internal Sata cables (right cable in pic).  Do not use a usb connection.
  4. Also make sure that you connect the power cable to the drive.
    What it should look like after you have it connected.
  5. Download The latest software: http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=15
  6. Double Click on the program to launch it (If using Vista, right click then run it as an"Administrator.")
  7. Select Source Drive
  8. Pull down the File Menu and choose Back up. "Select Back UP file", Choose to save it on the desktop, name the file and click Ok. Then Click the Start Button.
  9. Wait til the back up is done. 
  10. Don't expect all of your current shows to be on the backup. In most cases, it will only be the Tivo file structure that you will have on the backup.
  11. Next connect your new back up drive to the computer. This can use a USB connection.
  12. Double Click on the program to launch it (If using Vista, right click then run it as an"Administrator.")
  13. Select Source Drive 
  14. Choose File from the menu, select "Restore"  (see pic below)
  15. Click on Start Button  
  16. Wait ... 
  17. Click "Yes" when asked to expand the drive   
  18. Tools->Mfsinfo and check Destination Drive. 
  19. All Done! 
  20. Test the drive in your Tivo box. 

Please leave a comment if there is anything missing.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment