Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Lost Post

Hi Guys!
Again, sorry for the lack of posts. Everytime I have a difficult time with my skin, my posts fall off, while I try to figure out what my problem is and how to fix it!

I have been doing a lot of research on skin care ingredients. I have more irritations than I realized and now am reading all I can on various irritants that may do the following:
  1. Make my eyes itchy and red
  2. Activate my allergies (my nasal and sinus passages specifically)
  3. Create large pores and pimples
Number 3 is lower on the priority list now that I've found a workable skin care regime. BTW - this has changed since I last posted so I will do an update at the end of the post.

See my previous post on ingredients that can cause a flare up.
I'm going to add these items to MY list:

methylisothiazolinone
parabens - Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben
Petrolatum
Glycol - often used as solvents for preservatives and other materials. Examples are Propylene, Butylene, Pentylene, Hexylene, and Caprylyl Glycol.
PEG - Polyethylene Glycol - https://www.truthinaging.com/review/what-is-it-pegs 

Phenoxyethanol - "2-hydroxyethyl phenyl ether and 2-phenoxy-ethanol. Other names, however, could be a bit trickier to spot, such as rose ether. To make matters more confusing, some manufacturers don't even disclose the preservative on their product labels. Phenoxyethanol can also be used as a fragrance, and in some cases, manufacturers simply list it as "fragrance" on the product label. So, if a label states it contains "fragrance" but does not specify what kind, be aware that it may be phenoxyethanol."

The thing is... some of these items are ok for most people and that there is debate as to whether there is a danger for any of these ingredients. I've read some forums where a few people report their sensitivity to Butylene Glycol, but not Propylene Glycol and vice versa. Petrolatum for example is in most lip products. Some say it's just plain bad. Others say it's only bad if it's not from a plant based source.  On some lists Aloe Vera is also listed! So it really depends on who you are listening to.

What I've learned from all of this is that everyone has different sensitivities; mine are very particular. Yours will be too. You will have to test out different products to narrow down your trigger. Because I am so sensitive I am trying to weed out the offending ingredient. It means that I have to find the line between clear skin, eczema and all the other symptoms I've displayed recently.  
In the last few months, I've been reading blogs and science articles on chemicals, and watching youtube videos that describe skin care products that are supposed to be natural and not irritating. I find that a lot of products that tout themselves as natural still have one or more ingredients that can be irritating to some wearers. I read a lot of reviews before I try something. I've found that even after a lot of research,  and four stars, I will have a reaction with that item.

My goal now is to simplify my regiment. I've been using a lot of hydrating products, and some of them were contraindicating. Some are only good for me during the day, while others I use only at night.

The quest continues!

On my pinterest board, I've posted some items that I've either tried or want to try. I also note in the description the name of the ingredient that may be a point of sensitivity.



No comments:

Post a Comment